Saturday, 15 October 2016

NANOWRIMO TAG (2016)


16 DAYS TO GO! Are you freaking out yet? I know I am. I'm hoping to finish my full outline this weekend and then have the last two weeks to spend on character development and all that good stuff, but school is so crazy that I honestly don't know if I'll ever be prepared.

I'm kicking off my NaNo posts for this year with the NANOWRIMO TAG, which was created by NaNoWriMo legend Kristina Horner last year. I think I might have already done this but this is the 2016 EDITION. It's totally different.


1: HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU DONE NANOWRIMO?
This is only my second year doing NaNoWriMo, though I've done two Camp NaNoWriMo's over two years (Does that count? I never know if Camp NaNo counts). I've won every session I've taken part in so I really hope I can keep up that trend this year!


2: HOW DID YOU FIRST FIND OUT ABOUT NANOWRIMO?

The internet! Specifically YouTube. Basically, everyone I watched on YouTube in November of 2014 was doing it and I thought it looked like fun. It inspired me to start my first novel ever in January 2015 and eventually to take part in NaNoWriMo that November. I feel like that was a really boring answer, sorry.


3: WHAT WAS THE TITLE OF THE FIRST NOVEL YOU WROTE DURING NANOWRIMO?

Last years novel (the first I technically wrote during NaNo) has the awful working title of Heir of Chaos. The first book I worked on during a camp NaNo was the second draft of my first novel, Burners. This years book is called the Rose Amulet. I think that's all of them...
I honestly hate thinking of titles for books (and names for characters, and names for places, and names for anything else) and I'm not happy with any of my titles. I always just pick them as quick working titles and then never actually think of anything better. Ugh.


4: GIVE US A ONE SENTENCE SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU'RE WRITING THIS YEAR

Ummm...A teenage girl is sent to assassinate her family's greatest rival, unaware of the horrific curse placed upon him.
Alternatively: Beauty and the Beast with assassins and ghosts and pretty dresses. Yeah, I like that one a lot more.


5: WHAT IS THE BEST WRITING ADVICE YOU'VE EVER BEEN GIVEN?

Just write. Don't worry about what other people are going to think. Don't worry about what's popular in the genre right now. Don't worry about whether this scene is going to turn out exactly how it is in you head. Just sit down and write, and everything else will come later.

I don't actually remember where I heard that the first time, but it's especially good advice in NaNo when you're trying to write as many words as possible in 30 days.


6: DID YOU EVER TAKE A YEAR OFF OF NANO? WHY?

It's only my second year! I did take Camp NaNo off in April 2016 because my GCSEs started in May and I was freaking out about it, but aside from that I've been pretty consistent since I started last year.


7: WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST INSPIRATION WHEN FIGURING OUT WHAT TO WRITE?

I'm really not joking when I say pinterest is the most important part of my writing process. My novel last year was based entirely off of one image, and I can spend hours scrolling through finding inspiration for different characters and scenes and relationships.


8: READ US THE FIRST SENTENCE FROM ONE OF YOUR NOVELS.
The first sentence of Heir of Chaos (that's my NaNo project from last year, for those not paying attention) is:
The metal bars were freezing against his face.

Wow! Gripping, I know. It's only a first draft. DON'T JUDGE ME!


9: WHY DO YOU LOVE WRITING?

How can I even answer that question? I love writing because it gives me the chance to be someone else for a little while, it gives me the power to create my own worlds and my own stories and to make them so much better than anything  I could ever experience in my real life. It gives me the freedom to go anywhere and do anything from the safety of my room and a way to let out all the crazy stuff in my head in a way that's productive and creative.
That really didn't express it properly. I don't know if anything I say ever could.

Thanks for reading! I'm going to get back to that outline...
-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment