Tuesday, 25 October 2016

1 WEEK TO GO! NANOWRIMO PREP UPDATE

ONE WEEK. ONE WEEK TO GO. THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

I'm freaking out, and I don't even have much more prep to do. My outline is finished, my characters are pretty well formed in my head and my Pinterest board is filled with cool inspirational stuff, so all I really need to do now is mentally prepare myself for the chaos of November. Oh, and world building. Damn world building.

On the topic of world building, am I the only fantasy writer who hates it with a burning passion? I feel like I might be writing in the wrong genre, honestly. Right now my NaNo novel is set in an extremely generic old-timey European country with no name, no political system, no geographical features and absolutely no way I'm going to get it all planned out by November. The story was originally supposed to take place all in one house so this wouldn't have been such an issue, but then SUBPLOTS HAPPENED and now I am very concerned. Help me.

At least my outline is done, right? I should be able to relax now.
WRONG.
My outline, made with padlet
For some reason, finishing my outline has made me ten times more stressed about this whole thing. I'm not completely sure why. Maybe it's because this outline is a lot less detailed than my previous ones and I'm worried about whether I actually have enough to write, but I think it's more about the fact that this story feels real now. Now that I can see it all laid out I'm really concerned that I'm not going to be able to write it the way that I want to, or that my writing isn't good enough to ever do this book justice. I feel like the plot and the characters are too good for me, in a way. Does that make sense?

Character development is going well, so that's one good thing. I'm in the middle of typing up detailed biographies for all my main characters (there aren't that many compared to last year, thank God) and I've managed to put them all into Hogwarts houses and Divergent factions and such, which is obviously the most important part of the writing process. These characters are my children and I love them so much that I'm actually kind of dreading writing the awful things that are going to happen to them in November. I'm sorry, guys. I'm so sorry.

SOUNDTRACK OF THE WEEK:
It's time for an important staple of my NaNoWriMo updates- SOUNDTRACK OF THE WEEK! I'm currently in the middle of putting together my playlist for November and right now it's made up almost exclusively of  Of Monsters and Men's latest album Beneath the skin. It's so good and it fits the tone of my story so well and I am obsessed. My favourite song from it right now is Organs, which you can listen to by clicking play on the video below. (If it works, that is. Computers hate me)

Thank you so much for reading, and have a fabulous last week of October!
-MIA




No comments:

Post a Comment